Dear HAB community
The 19th International Conference on Harmful Algae 2021 (ICHA2021) is going virtual! We appreciate the responses that many of you provided in the recent survey which indicated that >85% of respondents will participate in a virtual meeting. The abstract submission deadline is 9 April 2021. Details on abstract submission can be found here. The International Society for the Study of Harmful Algae (ISSHA) Council is busy preparing the meeting with the local steering committee and is excited to announce that we will provide options for live participation in several time zones. We ask for your patience as we continue to update the conference website. The meeting will feature:
- Pre-recorded presentations
- Live Q&A sessions with oral presenters
- Interactive poster sessions
- Exciting side sessions on Early Warning Systems, Fish Farming, New HAB Technologies, and more!
- Opportunities for informal discussion and “coffee breaks”
- Online fun (inter)activities!
I am sure you will be pleased to see the greatly reduced registration rates for the virtual conference found here. Please register by 11 June 2021 to enjoy the early bird rates of 100 USD (student), 200 USD (regular participant). You also have an option to register as a “full participant” to help support a student or a colleague from an under-represented nation.
Please also provide your nominations for the 2021 Yasumoto Lifetime Achievement Award and the Patrick Gentien Young Scientist Award (both nominator and nominee need to be current ISSHA members)
ISSHA members are invited to submit nominations for the Yasumoto Lifetime Achievement Award and the Patrick Gentien Young Scientist Award. The nominator and the nominee both need to be current ISSHA members. Further information on the appropriate profile of the nominees can be found here.
Any ISSHA member in good standing may submit nominations for either achievement award, using the nomination forms that can be found on the website here. The nominator and the nominee both need to be current ISSHA members. Nominations should include a description of the nominee’s contribution (not more than one page). Please, make sure that you and your nominee have renewed your membership for the period 2020-2021.
Nominations for the 2021 Yasumoto Lifetime Achievement Award and the Patrick Gentien Young Scientist Award should be sent by e-mail to Dr. Marta Estrada (firstname.lastname@example.org), Chair of the Committee on Achievement Awards. Deadline: May 15, 2021. Please write “ISSHA Achievement Awards 2021” in the message subject.
Nominations will be considered by the ISSHA Council, and eventual awards will be presented at the virtual 19th ICHA Conference, October 11-15, 2021, La Paz, B.C.S. Mexico.
Student Registration Fee Award for ICHA 2021 Mexico
In order to encourage student participants and young investigators to participate in our biennial conference, ISSHA is glad to announce student registration fee awards to cover registration fee for ICHA2021 Mexico.
- Membership of ISSHA (If you are not a member, please join the society prior to the submitting of your application; application of non-member will not be considered).
- Quality or nature of science of the paper to be presented in an oral or a poster presentation. Students who are first authors will be given higher priority for funding.
- Priority will be given to first time applicants and from least developed or developing nations over award recipients of the past ICHA conferences.
Please indicate your wish to apply for the Student Registration Fee Award during the registration, and submit your application letter as an e-mail attachment to Dr. Po Teen LIM, Email: email@example.com, Chair of Student Travel Award Committee.
The letter should contain the following information:
- Name, address, telephone, FAX, e-mail
- Institutional affiliation and educational status
- Name(s) of advisor(s)
- Research interest (please use keywords)
- Activity at HAB 2020: poster or oral presentation
- Copy of the abstract
Please state “ISSHA Student Registration Fee Awards 2021″ in the subject of your e-mail. Applications not submitted correctly may be rejected. The deadline for receipt of applications will be 15th May 2021. Applications will be reviewed by the ISSHA Travel Award Committee and classified according to merits presented. Decisions will be announced by 1 June 2021.
More details will be provided soon on conference side sessions, the schedule to accommodate different time zones, and the popular auction. Please check the ICHA2021 website frequently for updates. Please take some time to submit your abstract and nominate your colleague for an award.
Vera Trainer (ISSHA President)